A stenographer is someone who works in a courtroom or any legal proceedings or a corporate place and transcribes spoken words by typing them into a steno machine, a kind of shorthand typewriter. Fast and accurate typing skills are very important for a stenographer job.
SSC Stenographer Job Profile (Grade C and D)
Stenographers’ work profile will depend upon his/her Grade and where he/she is posted. Grade C Stenographers are posted in Ministries/Departments of Central Government, located mostly in Delhi while Grade D Stenographers are categorized in two groups as under:
- Group ‘X’ – For Departments of Central Government located mostly in Delhi.
- Group ‘Y’ – For Departments of Central Government including all over the country.
Given below are some of the top jobs offered for the candidates qualifying the examination will be posted in various Central Government Ministries..
|SSC Stenographer Grade C||SSC Stenographer Grade D – Group X||
SSC Stenographer Grade D – Group Y
|Headquarters of Armed Forces||Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs||
Subordinate Government Offices
Controller General of Defence Accounts
|Election Commission of India (ECI)||ECI||
Comptroller and Auditor General of India
|Indian Foreign Service (IFS)||Headquarters of Armed Forces|
|Central Vigilance Commission||Railway Board Secretariat|
|Other Government Offices and Departments||Central Secretariat|
|Directorate of Forensic Science|
|Central Vigilance Commission|
Other Government Offices and Departments
General Job Duties: SSC Stenographers will have a proper work schedule and have to work daily during the government office hours, no extra work hours and working in shifts. Besides this, the duties include assisting with phone calls, dealing with visitors, handling of official documents and files, fixing appointments, arranging meetings, maintaining the diary, liaison within and outside the office, arranging travel related matters, etc.
8 Reasons Why You Should Target SSC Stenographer Exam
- Central Government Stable Job
- No extra work hours or Night Shifts
- Good Salary and Pay Scale
- Great Incentives, Perks and Other Allowances
- Fair Chances of Promotions
- Less Chances of Job Transfer
- Security and Flexibility of Job
- Government Office Hours
SSC Stenographer Salary For Grade ‘C’ and ‘D’ and Allowances
- Grade C salary generally ranges between INR 9300 – INR 34800.
- Grade D salary generally ranges between INR 5200- INR 20200
|Specifications||Grade C (In Rs)||Grade D (In Rs)|
|Pay Band||4,200 or 4,600 (Pay Grade 2)||2,400 (Pay grade 1)|
Apart from the Basic Pay, many allowances such as Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, Family Allowance, Telephone Allowance, Conveyance Allowance, etc. will also be provided.
- Dearness Allowance(DA)
- House Rent Allowance (HRA)
- Medical Allowance
SSC CGL Career Path/ Promotion
As a Stenographer, you will be getting immense opportunities for promotion and grow personally and professionally. The promotions are done on the basis of experience, so as your experience grows your salary and other responsibilities will get enhanced.
The promotion will also depend upon:
- Candidates’ ability to clear the departmental examinations conducted from time to time,
- These departmental examinations even give chances of quick promotion to higher cadres.
- If candidates pass all the departmental exams timely, they can go reasonably higher in the grade as well.